Onion soup recipe step by step
The onion soup is a dish that reminds me of my childhood.
When I was little and went with my parents to the restaurant of our club, my menu only varied between two options: seafood soup and Onion soup (by choice, not because it was the children's menu or something). If before I was 10 years old I was already a fan of onion soup, any adult who has not tried this dish should reconsider their arguments.
In addition, the onion soup has the property to end the few properties that make a very small percentage of the world population do not like this vegetable. With this dish, the onions become soft and sweet. In fact, they take on a delicate and absolutely appetizing flavor, which I have no words to describe, but with which any other person who has also tried this recipe will agree.
After what sounded like a suffering sales exercise, I will take care of those who do have the mind and stomach well ready for this recipe. By the way, who came here because they were wondering how onion soup is made for the first time in their lives, they can not worry because it is a really easy recipe.
Onion soup recipe
One of the most important ingredients to make this dish is broth, usually meat. The ideal is to do it with veal bones. The preparation of this broth is easy, you only need time, because it requires hours of cooking. If you are lazy, you can buy a broth of these that come ready supermarket, but if you do I will hate you a lot (lie), and it will not be as good.
Solution?It's very easy to do!
- Onions: 5 united white or yellow large.
- Garlic: 1 large tooth.
- Broth meat: 1 liter and a half.
- Wheat flour: 2 tablespoons.
- White wine: 30 milliliters.
- Butter: 6 tablespoons.
- Grated Gruyere cheese: 150 grams.
- Bread baguette: 1 piece.
- Ground black pepper
- Peel the onions and cut into thin and long strips (you can take advantage to see the weeping part of a movie at the same time.)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a hot pan, careful not to burn it.The idea is that they do not take color, or at most, a light golden color. When in doubt, lower the heat even if you have to wait longer to reach the cooking point.
- Mix the flour with the onions and stir so that the powder is distributed well. Let cook a couple of minutes.
- Add alcohol, stir and cook a couple more minutes.
- Add broth, cover, and cook for 25 minutes low fire.
- Use to preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Check and remove the onion broth, from time to time, to ensure 100% Do not stick the floured pieces.
- Take advantage of this time to cut the baguette into slices Take care that they are not too thin, so that they resist cooking.
- Smears slices with the remaining butter.
- Peel the clove of garlic and press against each piece , as if it were a knife with which you are smearing something. The idea is to absorb the flavor. You can make small cuts on the surface of the tooth so that they open up with the pressure against the bread. You can also crush it a bit with a mallet, to make it taste better.
- Accommodates a lot of grated cheese on each slice of bread.
- Once the cooking time of the soup, distribute in individual bowls resistant to the oven, and place slices of bread in each. You can arrange the slices on the served liquid, or place one at the bottom, before pouring the broth, and the others on the surface.
- Insert the bowls in the oven. Close and increase to 215 degrees, for 4 minutes, or until you get a good gratin onion soup.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips for the best recipe for history onion soup
- If you get onions of the "sweet" type, the result will have a milder flavor.
- The gruyere can be replaced by another grated yellow cheese.
- The more concentrated your meat broth is, the more you will taste the soup.
- You can change the white wine for another liqueur that you like and that fits well with the salty cooking, like the cognac, brandy or armagnac. Since it is liquor with a higher alcohol content, it reduces the amount to one third. You will have a perfumed and different result, which is rich but does not have the traditional base flavor.
- For a more aromatic soup, use freshly ground black pepper.
- Sweet lovers can Sweeten the onions, adding a spoonful of sugar at the same time as the alcohol. This trick works very well for diners who are not fans of onions. However, it is not such a good idea if you have obtained sweet onions for this recipe.
- Some people add a jet of oil when making the sauce, to make sure it is very well hydrated. You can do the same, but without neglecting the butter.Which speaks mostly of eating many vegetable soups. From my point of view, the onion soup recipe is used to prepare a delicious dish, although not exactly light. If what you are looking for are light recipes, I'd better leave you here a link to our selection of low-calorie recipes.
If you're at your best to prepare soups, I recommend other options that we have here at Comedera.com:
- Tomato Soup
- Broccoli Cream
- Garlic Soup